The economic development of a nation is the manifestation of a good mix of policies with optimal use of available resources combined with valuable human resources. The economic growth leads to poverty reduction and generation of resources to sustain the development and the most important output of this process is well skilled, well educated human resource. In order to secure the results of economic growth in terms of well groomed human resource the first hand information regarding the characteristics of the existing skilled work force such as their distribution by region and gender, age composition, skill level, productivity etc. are required in order to determine a development path.
Skill / labour market information that is timely and relevant is thus increasingly important, particularly as the countries of the region move to increase their productivity and competitiveness and monitor the social and economic impact of globalization.
In order to provide demand driven workforce as per the requirement of the industry /employer and the greater employability of TVET graduates, NAVTTC under TVET Reform Support Program (being implemented by GIZ) has developed National Skills Information System (NSIS). The following are the main objectives of the NSIS:
Develop / provide a reliable Skills Information System for demand driven workforce development;
- Skills Information System
- Establish data collection / management system (Supply & Demand)
- Market Demand Management / Analysis
- Supply Management / Analysis
Provide timely and accurate information on demand and supply analysis, to TVET planers, training institutions, industry, academia, students and public in general;
- Establish interactive platform / network for TVET Stakeholders
- Information Dissemination System
- Align TVET Plans, Policies, Programs with SIS
Establish and facilitate career / vocational guidance and placement services for TVET graduates and potential employers;
- Establish Career / Vocational Guidance Service
- Establish Job Placement Service
- Provide information on Skills available & skills required
- With the establishment of NSIS, Government is able to take stock of their capacity to produce and use skill information in decision making process at different levels. The system is helpful to formulate policies to adjust the demand and supply of skills according to the requirement and to tackle the unemployment issue.